Or speak to someone today on (02) 9167 0209
What is Subdivision of Land?
In simplest terms, subdividing land is the process of taking a large swath of property and cutting it into smaller plots. Each piece of land has its own land title, which means you can then do what you want with them– you can sell the vacant land, develop it then sell it, build on it and rent out the property, or hold on to it for later.
However, it’s not as easy as putting up a fence and calling it a day. There are a lot of steps involved. And all subdivisions aren’t the same. The type of subdivision you decide on depends on your individual situation and goals. However, these are the 4 most common types in Australia:
- Torrens Title Subdivision: This is the most common form of subdivision in Australia. It’s simply dividing one piece of land into one or more plots with separate land titles.
- Strata Subdivision: This type of subdivision is for apartments, townhouses, and duplexes, with the result being a separate tile for each apartment, townhouse or duplex and a title for shared common property areas such as gardens, parking spaces, driveways etc.
- Stratum Subdivision: This is a form of Torrens Title Subdivision that is the preferred method for subdividing mixed use residential and commercial developments. The result being two separate titles for each section (commercial and residential) which can then be further Strata Subdivided.
- Community Title Subdivision: This type of subdivision is the preferred method of subdividing gated communities and new precincts where they are common facilities such as swimming pools and parks. The result is a separate title for each individual dwelling within the gated community or precinct and a community title for the shared common areas.
Request a call back
Why Do You Need to Subdivide Land?
There are several reasons that you may need to subdivide your land. If you are looking for ways to get more out of your land, subdividing gives you a multitude of options, such as building commercial or residential developments or selling resulting individual lots.
However, there are some steps you need to go through before you can legally subdivide your land. While it depends on your locality, here are the general steps you will take to get the process started:
- Engage a professional to assess your property for development and subdivision options against local and state planning controls/li>
- Engage a Registered Surveyor to carry out a Detail and Level Survey so you can begin the design process
- Engage other professionals such as Architects and Engineers to prepare required plans and/or reports or alternatively hire a professional such as a Project Manager to take all the process in hand and arrange it all for you
- Lodge the application to Council and/or a Private Certifier
- Receive your determination (development approval)
- Prepare any Construction Certificate or Notice to Commence documentation
- Begin construction
The easiest way to ensure you get all the steps done right– which will save you time and money– is to partner with a reliable and expert team like C&A Surveyors.
How C&A Surveyors Can Help you with the Land Subdivision Process
With decades of experience, we can help guide you through the land subdivision process to make it hassle-free. When complete, you can benefit from subdividing land in many ways, such as gaining a source of rental return or profiting from sales.
Don’t worry about navigating the complexities of government regulations and dealing with all the paperwork. We’ve got you covered! Want to learn more about the C&A Surveyors process and what we can do for you? Contact us today.
Request a fee proposal today!
"*" indicates required fields